Up, up and away

Presque Isle. August. 2008.

I've very rarely been to event that was so satisfyingly...happy.

The simplicity of a balloon launch is it's charm. The crowd who come to watch knows how to wait, knows how to be still, knows the pure joy of watching something as simple as flame lift human beings off the ground as gently as a breeze. Add some homemade pie and red hots to the mix and you get an afternoon of pure enjoyment, even if you are still on the ground.

I found myself laughing out loud as these huge balloons finally lifted off the ground. Something in myself rose up and floated away as well. An unrealized anxiety that I wouldn't find anything in my new home that would make me feel ridiculously good, with no reservations.

How often does that happen?














Not often enough. Next time, I'm going up.

Comments

carrie said…
That is such an amazing sight, I know. Makes one feel so little.

Glad you were able to share that with your daughter.
We did that about 7 years ago. It truly makes one feel small.
Maddy said…
How absolutely glorious and all those colours. Lucky happy days.
Best wishes
Sally HP said…
so beautiful! I was just reading about the contributors to New England Mamas and noticed that you have a husband who is/was a resident. We're in our third year at UMass, so I'm going to check out the rest of your blog. The end is near... :)

Popular Posts